Monday, December 7, 2009

No Does Sometimes Mean No…Even in Sales!


I just posted a comment to a discussion stream on LinkedIn and damned if I didn't impress myself! (It's sometimes good to be somewhat self-amused!)

 At any rate, I thought it would make a useful blog post…file this one under the BizJitsu series and watch for my new BizJitsu blog coming soon!



Conventional sales training teaches you that you should never be discouraged by the word "NO." You should be persistent and never take NO for a final answer.

NO! I'm all for perseverance and persistence but if you're hearing NO a lot you better take a look in the mirror, or better yet record (and listen to) your next sales call.

I'm going to chime in from the customer's perspective: There is such a thing as "NO" and I must say it a dozen times a week...and I DON'T want to hear from those people again!

I say NO when when the salesperson making the call has obviously done NOTHING to find out why, how or even if I would use their product or service.

I say NO when the salesperson has obviously done NOTHING to find out about me other than my name, and especially if they pronounce that wrong! We have access to the miracles of Google and LinkedIn; this should virtually elminate the cold call. Still, I get calls from people who have no idea what my specific needs and wants might be.

I say NO when the salesperson refuses to get to the point. I'm busy and while I'm the first to say (and will again in a second) that the relationship is crtical to the sale, I don't have time to listen to 30 minutes of crap about someone's kids or dogs and I don't care to unless I know them! Tell me what you're after and then we'll work on the relationship...

...having said that, the salesperson had better get to know me, and my needs and wants before making a pitch.

I say NO when I don't like the person. One of the most overlooked aspect of sales is to be a likeable person. This means to be sincerely interested in the customer's needs above the amazing benefits of your wares. Napoleon Hill and Dale Carnegie should still be required reading for all sales people.

The BizJitsu (TM) technique for minimizing negative responses is to do your homework to assure you're meeting the prospect's unique needs and desires. This is the relationship building part and it involves RESPECT for the prospect's opinions, time and budget.

If you sense a genuine NO coming at the end of the conversation; don't make the pitch! If you're not a fit, so be it! That prospect may just recommend you to someone else simply because you showed respect, sincerity and didn't waste their time. You're more likely to earn great referrals by being a likeable person; you'll never get a referral by being a pest!


BTW...I offer a workshop as part of my BizJitsu series titled:

One With the Enemy: Relationships Before Sales! If anyone is interested give me a shout at 800-786-8502 or visit JimBouchard.org to get to know me better.

If you're not interested I promise I'll never bother you!

Best thoughts!
Jim

No comments: