Thursday, March 26, 2009

Resentment is NOT a Transferable Quality!

Getting laid-off? Tough! Get over it!

Before you judge me as heartless; I've been through it myself. I was laid-off from what most people would consider to be a pretty exciting job as a television producer. Of course, I was young, full of piss and vinegar and at the time just thought this was another example of "the man" keeping me from my entitlements!

What an idiot!

With the benefit of hindsight I know that business owners and executives hate to lay people off. If nothing else putting people on the street marks a failure. Most business people take great pride in expanding their companies, not in contracting them. More importantly, despite the negative mythology most business people are caring and compassionate people who care about their employees.

A lay-off or downsizing usually means your company is in survival mode. They're doing what it takes to stay in business and their immediate priority will and should be the welfare of the people they can hold on to. You've got to move a long and take care of yourself.

You're likely going to scramble for a new job. The one overwhelming piece of advice I can give you is to take your talents and abilities with you, and leave any resentment with the other crap you left in your desk when they gave you the pink slip!

When you're asked about your previous employment be succinct, honest and positive. Tell your potential new employer how much you appreciated the opportunities you had at your last job. Share examples of how your previous boss helped you grow and develop your talents and abilities. Say that you wish you could have stayed, but that you understand the difficult decisions that every business has to make when things get lean.

I vividly remember the moment I was called in to the office and told that I'd be laid-off. I have to say that my supervisors handled it with caring and compassion within appropriate decorum. That didn't necessarily mitigate feelings of confusion, disappointment, worry and yes; some resentment at the time. There were some people who broke down in tears; others who responded with open anger and hostility. I'm very grateful my mother taught me to handle a moment like this with restraint and dignity.

My supervisors gave me letters of recommendation, provided references and even passed my name along to other employers in their networks. Do you think they did that for the people who got pissed off and screamed at them?

My best friend at that job took me out to breakfast later that morning. He said that this wasn't the worst day of my life; it was the best. It took a while to realize it, but he was right! For me this marked the beginning of my life as an entrepreneur. Who knows what incredible adventures lay ahead of you?

There will be feelings of resentment, confusion, betrayal and doubt. Leave that all behind and look forward to your next opportunity…it's there for the taking!


 

Jim Bouchard is America's Black Belt Powervator: Speaker, coach & author of Dynamic Components of Personal POWER!

Facing a lay-off? Click here for a complimentary PowerCOACHING session! Jim will help you take inventory of where you are now and help you plot a course toward your next success!

1 comment:

Gina Parris said...

I hate to sound like one who is opposed to working, but in 2001, my husband was laid off from his broadband company and the months that followed were the most eye-opening and precious time of our whole marriage. We kept giving, paying all our bills, and never went in debt. (Plus he was home to help me raise our four little ones.)

I didn't shake all over until the following year when we did our taxes and I saw on paper that we were "poor" that year! It's still a mystery where all the extra money came from to pay for everything.

His next job brought a 20% raise, followed by a 40% raise a few months later. (I was clearly suppposed to stay home and raise the babies while they were little.)

Great word about resentment. No time for that!